Tonaki-Jima.

A group of about 30 of us went to Tonaki-jima this weekend. We did a 2days VBS for the kids on the island of Tonaki. Those of you who have never been to a tiny island, I recommend going to islands like Tonaki.

Tonaki-jima is a tiny tiny island south of Okinawa about 2hours boat ride. The population of the island is about 450 people, and the school on the island has about 34students in a facility big enough for 500 students. I saw one traffic light on the island,which I believe that there is no need for the traffic light. There was also one "grocery" store that has hardly anything in the little front room of someone's house. There were little street signs, but it just looks like little alley ways instead of streets. There's absolutely nothing on the island other than the life that goes on with the islanders of Tonaki. They don't even have icecream unless it's summer!

But the trip was really good. We were blessed with two and half a day of beautiful weather until it started storming Sunday afternoon. The wind and the rain was so crazy, it felt like typhoon. We camped by the beach and the wind was so strong we all had to go in our tents to keep in from being blown away and flooded. It was quite an experience, but we all laughed about it. Praise God that nothing was damaged and that we were able to sleep in the tents that night.

And the VBS, it went well. There were about 20 somthing kids that showed up the first day and little bit less the second day. We did couple skits following the footsteps of Jesus from Palm Sunday to His crucifixion. There are no churches on the island, and as far as I know, there is one Christian there. Being there, it makes me realize how much I take granted of the things I have in Okinawa. I hope that I will get to go again, which probably won't be hard to do so.

And now, here are pictures!
The ferry ride to Tonaki.

When we arrived, we had to walk from the port to the otherside of the island...
it takes less than 10mins.

Most of the streets look like this, and the cars also drive through here.


Most of the houses are still old-school Okinawan style, and I love it.

At night, the street get light up.
Very very peaceful and beautiful to take a walk. I believe we were the loudest people on the island.

Saturday morning was absolutely beautiful. It reminded me of Woolacombe, England a little.

Izak.
There were about 6-7 people in each tent.
I don't think I will ever be able to sleep closer to them as I did in the tent...
Dancing to the songs.
After the storm, we had to come up with a way to have fire under the tent.
This is a new use of the rice pot!
And now we are back. We were afraid that the boat wasn't going to leave today because the weather looked bad still, but we safely maded home just to start another busy week.

Comments

Natsuki said…
Thank you for the 渡名喜報告!
一緒に行けなかったとしても、
一緒にREJOICEできるわ♪
beautiful island indeed,
and so happy to see the smiles of the kids!
Tamiko your rocking on blogs now days keep it up good job

Popular Posts